Local Iron Mountain-Kingsford GFWC scholarships offered may vary from year to year.
The Iron Mountain-Kingsford Greater Federation of Women’s Clubs is offering several scholarships this year.
- $1,000 E.K. Russell Scholarship – to a student who graduated from Kingsford or Iron Mountain High School and is presently attending any accredited 4-year College or University.
- $400 Sullivan-Parmalee-Rahm Scholarship – to a student who is presently attending or will be attending Bay West College in Iron Mountain.
- $1,000 Fall Fundraiser Scholarship – to a non-traditional student attending Bay West College in Iron Mountain.
- $500 Fall Fundraiser Scholarship to a non-traditional student attending Bay West College in Iron Mountain.
A non-traditional student meets one or more of the following criteria:
- Did not immediately continue your education after you graduate from high school
- Is financially independent
- Has children or dependents other than your spouse
- Is a single parent
- Has a GED, not a high school diploma
DEADLINE: Postmarked by April 1st, 2019
You can use one application to apply for more than one scholarship.
Applicants will be evaluated by a committee of club women. The winner will be notified by telephone; other applicants will be notified by mail.
The scholarship will be paid directly to the college for the student’s fall tuition. Payment will be coordinated with the student and college.
Please mail your application. Only those on the selection committee will see the application materials. We will not be returning any materials back to the applicant. For privacy reasons, all applications will be destroyed after judging.
Completed application materials must include:
- Completed student information sheet
- A short essay to a maximum of 250 words on one typed page
- A copy of your most recent grade report and your official transcript. The transcript need not include your most recent grade report, but the committee wants a complete picture of the student’s college course work and progress to date. Photocopies are accepted. Please black out any private information such as social security numbers.
The following factors will be considered:
- Completeness of application materials (incomplete or falsified applications will be rejected)
- Applicant’s financial need
- Evidence of perseverance and determination to finish college and earn a degree.
- Essay details
- Grades (the winner will not necessarily have the highest grades)
- Any outside employment
- Family circumstances (marriage/children)
- Other scholarships
- Women’s Club Connection
- Community involvement; extra curricular interest
- Applicant’s citizenship
Please return all application materials to:
Iron Mountain-Kingsford Women’s Club, GFWC
PO Box 2823
Kingsford, Michigan 49802
Other GFWC Scholarships Available
The following scholarships are offered at by GFWC Michigan or the national level of GFWC
GFWC Success for Survivors Scholarship
As part of the GFWC Signature Project: Domestic Violence Awareness and Prevention, the GFWC Success For Survivors Scholarship was created in 2012 to lend a helping hand to those impacted by intimate partner violence who are pursuing higher education. The scholarship aims to provide survivors with a means to achieve both financial and personal independence. Since its inception in 2012, GFWC has awarded $50,000 in scholarship funds. In 2015, GFWC was honored to award four recipients with $2,500 scholarships.
GFWC Michigan Education Foundation
For GFWC Active Members Only. The Education Foundation was established in 1985 as an endowment Â fund. It is funded only by contributions from GFWC MI members and clubs. Interest generated by the endowment is used exclusively to fund scholarships for GFWC MI members. “Women Investing In Women” is their motto. The scholarships are given for self-improvement and does not necessarily have to be for academic work. The scholarships are not awarded on financial need also.
Members, please contact your board for more information.